Dogs that are properly groomed are healthier than the non-groomed dogs. Knotting and matted hair on your pet can lead to yeast infection. Dogs that are non groomed regularly can have ear infection and periodontal diseases because of neglected teeth.
The article over here shares some of the tips and techniques how to dog grooming at home. It will help your four footed animal to stay healthy, clean and easy to care for. Before embarking on this task, it is important that you have all the pet supplies ready.
Grooming Your Pet before Bath: 9 Steps
Before you bathe your dog, it is important that you are doing some preparations at your end. Follow the guide mentioned below:
- Gather all the materials related to grooming because you don’t want to search for tools. All the things you need should be readily available. The items include brush, ear cleaner, nail clippers, cloth, shampoo and dog drying towel.
- Comb your dog first before you do anything. It will keep most mats at bay. A thorough combing is essential and not the simple brushing. The mats will become less manageable and tight once the coat dries. No matter what kind of brush you use, it should remove the loose hair and distribute oils all over the coat.
- Praise and speak soft words to your pet while you brush him. Reward your dog with some treats if he shows soft behavior while combing. He will encourage discipline and he will have always something to look forward.
- Negative associations will make dog grooming difficult in future. Give sufficient amount of breaks in order to make the experience more fun like. In this way, your puppy will get training from a tender age. He will be then able to put up such handling in the future.
- If you are not able to brush the mats, cut them out. Sever matting can make the daily life of your pet painful. Try to be extremely careful while using blade or scissors to cut the mats. If there are some bacterial infections after cutting the mats, rush to your vet at the earliest.
- Dogs with large eyes should need proper maintenance. Wipe all the dirt around the corner of eyes using a moist cotton cloth. There are dog products available that can remove the tearstains from the coat of dogs.
- Use proper cleaning solution to clean your pet’s ears. Remove the wax from the inner ear and make sure that you don’t rub vigorously. Don’t go too deep into the ears of your pet else, you will hurt your dog.
- Brushing the teeth is another important aspect that you should not ignore. Use pet friendly toothpaste for daily cleaning of teeth and gums. If your dog bites you while brushing, don’t try to brush his teeth.
- Clipping the nails from time to time is necessary to avoid curling up the nails. If left unattended, the toes will twist and can cause joint damage. Keep the nails short and clip them regularly. If there is bleeding, you may use flour or styptic powder to stop the blood.
Bathing Your Dog: Most Important Segment of Pet Grooming
Now comes the most important part of dog grooming which is to bathe your pet. Follow the guide mentioned below for proper dog care while bathing:
- You should gather all supplies like shampoo, towels, treats etc to ensure that everything is in place. Try to be properly dressed because dog bath can be messy.
- The tub in which you are bathing your pet can get slippery because of shampoo. Put a non-slippery substance like dry mat or cloth under the tub to prevent slipping.
- Make sure that the water is lukewarm because hot water can hurt the skin of your dog. You should avoid running water to avoid unnecessary step in your pet animal.
- If your dog is very playful, you need to be extra careful while bathing him. Secure the leash attached to the pet collar to the nearest wall. It will keep your pet in one place.
- The coat should be completely wet before you apply shampoo over it. Massage the shampoo thoroughly on the skin to become lather.
- Rinse all the shampoo properly and soak the skin properly. Make sure that there is no shampoo left on the skin because it attracts dirt and moisture.
- Drying your dog is the last and most important part on how to dog grooming at home. You may use a towel or a blower to dry the skin.
Things to Consider Before Grooming Your Dog at Home
Dog grooming is a relatively easy task and you can master over it in a very short span of time. You can get online and see YouTube videos if you are going for dog grooming for the first time. Clipping of nails and trimming of coat fur should always be done after the bath.
If your dog has long hair with little fur, don’t brush the coat when it is wet. Cleaning the external organs like teeth, ears and eyes is an important part of dog grooming. Before starting anything, you must understand the needs of your pet animal.
If you learn how to dog grooming at home, you will be able to save substantial money. At the same time, you will be able to bond with your dog in a better manner. This particular task requires a little bit of patience and you should not rush into things.
With best practice and little patience, you will be able to learn the intricacies of dog grooming properly. It will also promote cleanliness and good health at the same time. A healthy dog is a happy dog and every owner wants their pet animal to be in good shape and high spirits.
Last Updated on 18/11/2023 by Karen Snow
Hi! I’m Karen and a certified dog lover. As a freelance writer and blogger, I do my best to squeeze in some time with my dogs, learning more about the way they act and how I can make sure that they continue to stay well-cared for by yours truly.
My dogs have helped me through a lot, and this is my way of giving back to them! Besides animals, I also love to travel and cook, having explored my country’s restaurants and unique places. Follow me as I show you all the amazing tips and bits of information I learn along the way about our furry friends!