Cats are fun to watch pet animals and easiest pets to maintain in the family. There are many owners who are personally attached to their pet animals. So they feel the constant need of spoiling them by giving them different treats including human food. Not all treats are good for your cat and it can cause health complications. Human food should not constitute more than 5% of your cat’s daily diet. So before giving anything to your cat you should know what human food can cats eat and what not. Foods that are harmful to your pet should be avoided in all circumstances.
12 Human Foods that are Safe for Feline
Mentioned below are 12 different types of feline friendly human food that you can feed your cat. These food items do not have any negative effects on your pet animal:
- Salmon: It contains Omega 3 fatty acids and a rich source of protein. At the same time it is very tasty and your cat will relish eating it. It is important that you give her only cooked salmon.
- Spinach: You can feed her this human food which is rich in minerals and vitamins like A, C and K. it is very healthy and ideal for the all round development of your cat. However if your cat has bladder stones, try to avoid it.
- Fish Oils: It is something that can benefit your cat to a great extent. You have a variety of options to feed your cat like cod liver oil, salmon oil etc. It will prevent your cat’s skin from getting dry. The coat and fur will remain healthy throughout the year.
- Eggs: It is yet another very commonly used human food to feed cats. Eggs are a good source of proteins and vitamins which is perfectly safe for your cat’s body. Regular consumption can prevent the risk of food borne diseases.
- Cantaloupe: Another popular human food that is rich in beta-carotene and antioxidants. It is known for providing good eye health and soft skin.
- Chicken: Any kind of meat like chicken is ideal for cats. It is a great source of protein and it will hit the taste buds of your pet immediately. The chicken should be cooked thoroughly and all the fat should be removed.
- Bananas: They are a rich source of soluble fibers and potassium. It is a very good cat safe snack and a healthy treat. However it should not contribute more than 10% of the daily calorie intake of your pet.
- Oatmeal: It is a very good source of Vitamin B and offers optimum amount of energy to your cat’s body. Initially your cat may not like it and you should introduce it to her feeding diet slowly.
- Pumpkin: You may feed your cat canned pumpkin. It is rich in fibers and low in calories which make it a perfect cat food. Incorporating this fruit in your pet’s diet is healthy and safe at the same time.
- Cheese: Cats often show affinity towards cheese. You may feed her hard cheese like Gouda, Swiss or Cheddar. They are rich in calcium and constitute an ideal treat for your four legged animal.
- Bread: It is another very common human food fit for cat consumption. A nice feline friendly food that you may give her as occasional treat from time to time.
- Apples: It is another common human fruit that you may feed your cat. This fruit has a rich source of Vitamin C and other important fibers.
Different Human Foods that are Toxic for Cats
Once in a while we give table scraps from our plat to our pet animal. It is one of the different ways of showing love and affection. However, the only problem is that you may be giving her food that is harmful to her body. Like for instance imagine that you are having turkey at dinner table. Do you feed a little portion of turkey to your pet? If yes then you are harming your pet animal. Many people give gravy to their cats. Gravy contains flavoured onions, garlic and other root vegetables. They are a list of human foods that you should never feed a cat. Raw potatoes and tomatoes are very bad for the digestive organs of your cat. So while peeling tomatoes, some of it fells on ground clean them immediately. Make sure that your cat does not get hold of it. Green tomatoes contain toxins that are bad for cats.
We humans love eating chocolates. However it is extremely bas for the animals like cats and dogs. It contains a lot of sugar and other artificial flavours which is just plain bad for them. Keep any kind of chocolates away from the reach of your cats. We have read in books and seen in movies where owners put a saucer of milk before their cat. It is very wrong and should not be done. Milk is not bad for cats but it does not constitute a healthy diet. Its side effects can be extremely uncomfortable for pets. Besides, if your cat is lactose intolerant, feeding milk to her can be a nightmare. She will have an upset stomach or suffer from diarrhoea. Do not feed your animal raisins or grapes because of its adverse effects on them.
Human Food and Cat Pet Care
Every owner wants to feed human food to their cat. While it seems enjoyable but is actually not a good idea. Through this post you must have understood what human food can cats eat and which one to avoid. Knowing the right human food cats can eat will avoid all types of health problems. When you are in doubt, seek the advice of your veterinary doctor in the first place. It is always better to be safe than sorry. You don’t want your cat to get sick by eating any human scrap food.