As a proud owner of any number of dogs, there are certain times when taking care of them becomes really stressful. This is especially when you are busy working on work stuff that’s already late but the dogs want to go out.
What do you do? For you to continue working uninterrupted, you should put in place measures that don’t involve you getting up. The PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door is one of such measures.
What is Pet Door All About?
However much as you would love to have your pets seated next to you all day, it might not be possible at times. They may need to go out and play while you get things done around the house. Getting up and down to open the door and let them out then back in looks like too much work.
However, all that hassle is unnecessary if you have this sliding door. It gives the pets unlimited access to the home and outdoors. By utilizing a sliding screen door or glass, the cats or dogs can come and go as they wish.
The PetSafe door comes in a variety of sizes to fit all dog breeds and cats. For convenience, the door easily fits into the tracking track of your already existing sliding door.
Features of the PetSafe Freedom Pet Door
To make it tick, this pet door has a number of features that pet owners find very useful. Let me enumerate some of these to you.
First up is the durable frame made of aluminum. This material is both lightweight and strong too, making for a durable door. The heavy-duty frame can withstand continuous passes of pets of all sizes.
Available in a Number of Sizes
This door is available in sizes of up to 81 inches or 96 inches high, depending on your door size. For the smallest pets, there is the 5” x 8”, followed by the 8” x 12” for medium dogs. The 10” x 16” is meant for large dogs, then lastly the 10” x 16” is for the large and tall dogs.
These dimensions are for the opening where the pet passes through. The largest size has an 8-inch-high rise for keeping out weather elements.
UltraSeal Flexible Flap
The pet entrance is a flexible flap system which can be easily opened by the pet. Once the dog is through, the system closes itself. This mechanism helps to keep the inside of the home either cool or warm, depending on the outside conditions.
Different flap colors are provided that you can choose from. There is a white, satin and bronze flap from which to choose depending on the color of the door in place.
On top of the entrance is a safety glass that’s tempered and shatter resistant. It can stay in use and withstand shifts from house to house while still remaining intact.
Either Side Fit
The door fits on either side of your sliding door. If you choose to have it on either the right or the left, then it will still fit. Mine fits on the left since I prefer having it where there is a minimal disturbance. Also included in the package are weather stripping, closing panel, and glass sweep.
How to Install the PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door
Before you install the door, consult the manufacturer of the sliding door. Making additions to the door may void it of the provided warranty. In addition, certain door frames made from vinyl may crack if screws are installed into them.
Here is a quick summary of the installation steps for this door. For this purpose, you will need the following:
- Electric drill
- 5 mm drill bit
- Tape measure
- Measure the Height of The Sliding Door FrameThis step should be done before you actually buy the PetSafe door in the first place. Take the measurement from the lowest track to the upper track of the door. This will be the size of pet door to buy.
- Slide the PetSafe into the sliding tracks of your door
- Lock the adjuster of the PetSafe height in place so as to secure it in place.
- Lastly, install the glass sweep, the locks and then the weather stripping.
For a more detailed installation method, you can check it out in this video:
Teach Your Pet to Use the Door
Once you have the door in place, you will need to teach your best friend (s) to start using it. This might take some time, but you need to be patient with the dogs.
- The first step is to let the pet learn of the opening. Lift and hold up the flap with a string. Secure the flap such that it does not fall when training.
- Encourage the pet to pass through the opening, making sure not to force her through it. Such an action frightens the pet more.
- For motivation, you can use the pet food. Begin by giving her the pet food while on the inside. Then, move the food through the opening to the other side. This will work to get her through the door.
- Once the pet is used to passing through the opening, try lowering the flap. As it touches the pet, she will start to learn of its presence.
- Afterward, let the pet push through the flap by herself. Only do this when she is comfortable enough with the flap.
Benefits of the PetSafe Sliding Door
- Easy to install
- Great for apartments, condos or any other rentals which require you to move it
- Weather resistant aluminum frame and weather stripping
- Available in a variety of sizes
- Can accommodate pets up to 130 pounds
- Available in different colors to match your door
- Energy conserving ultra-seal system
Give your Pets the Freedom they need
The PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door is a revolutionary pet door. Unrestricted access makes your pet-parent relationship a little easier. Plus, it does not impose any restrictions on the opening and closing of the already existing door.
Last Updated on 02/05/2020 by Karen Snow
Hi! I’m Karen and a certified dog lover. As a freelance writer and blogger, I do my best to squeeze in some time with my dogs, learning more about the way they act and how I can make sure that they continue to stay well-cared for by yours truly.
My dogs have helped me through a lot, and this is my way of giving back to them! Besides animals, I also love to travel and cook, having explored my country’s restaurants and unique places. Follow me as I show you all the amazing tips and bits of information I learn along the way about our furry friends!